About this project
Together Öko-Institut, Wuppertal Institute and NewClimate Institute support the Global Stocktake (GST) process taking place between 2021 and 2023. In this project, we inform Parties in enhancing their own mitigation efforts in line with the long-term mitigation goals of the Paris Agreement. To accomplish that, we:
- analyse submissions and compile overviews of the issues relevant to the process at Subsidiary Bodies (SB) sessions and Conferences of the Parties (COP);
- prepare a series of analyses of collective progress using a performance distribution approach, that presents anonymised country information on a graphical format and is made available in an online tool; and
- identify ways in which the results of the GST can inform ambition raising at the national level, in particular the subsequent update of Nationally Determined Contributions (NDC) and the formulation of long-term strategies.
The project commissioned by the German Environment Agency "Technical and political support for the first Global Stocktake" is accompanying the first Global Stocktake under the Paris Agreement, focusing on mitigation-related topics. The overall objective is to contribute to ensuring that the results of the GST are impactful and result in more ambitious NDCs.
This website was prepared under the German Environment Agency (Umweltbundesamt, UBA) supervised research project Support for the first Global Stocktake of the Paris Agreement of the Federal Foreign Office project number 3721 41 507 0. Any views or assumptions expressed on this website represent the views of the authors and not necessarily those of the client.
Recommended citationWhen using plots produced using the globalstockedata.org website, please cite the source as follows: "Plot produced with globalstocktakedata.org based on Nascimento et al. (2023) using data from XXX." Where XXX is the relevant data source used in the figure. You'll find a link to the relevant underlying data below the figure on the main tool page.
Project publications and related research
- BP (2022) bp Statistical Review of World Energy 2022 . London, United Kingdom: BP p.l.c.
- Gütschow, J., Jeffery, M.L., Gieseke, R., et al. (2016) The PRIMAP-hist national historical emissions time series , Earth System Science Data, 8(2), pp. 571-603. doi:10.5194/essd-8-571-2016.
- Gütschow, J., Günther, A. and Pflüger, M. (2023) The PRIMAP-hist national historical emissions time series (1750-2021) v2.4.2 . Zenodo. doi:10.5281/zenodo.7727475.
- IPCC (2022) 'Summary for Policymakers', in Shukla, P.R. et al. (eds) Climate Change 2022: Mitigation of Climate Change. Contribution of Working Group III to the Sixth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. Cambridge, UK and New York, NY, USA: Cambridge University Press. doi:10.1017/9781009157926.002.
- Jeffery, L. and Nascimento, L. (2022) Introducing performance distributions to visualise collective progress towards mitigation goals of the Paris Agreement . Berlin, Germany: NewClimate Institute.
- Jeffery, L., Siemons, A., Förster, H., et al. (2021) The Challenges of Assessing "Collective Progress": Design Options for an effective Global Stocktake process under the UNFCCC . Dessau-Roßlau, Germany: Umweltbundesamt (UBA).
- Hermwille, L. et al. (2019) Catalyzing mitigation ambition under the Paris Agreement: elements for an effective Global Stocktake , Climate Policy, 19(8), pp. 988-1001.
- Höhne, N., Jeffery, L., Nilsson, A., Fekete, H. (2019) Guiding questions for the Global Stocktake under the Paris Agreement . Cologne and Berlin, Germany: NewClimate Institute.
- Lamb, W.F., Wiedmann, T., Pongratz, J., et al. (2021) A review of trends and drivers of greenhouse gas emissions by sector from 1990 to 2018 , Environmental Research Letters, 16(7), p. 073005. doi:10.1088/1748-9326/abee4e.
- Minx, J.C., Lamb, W.F., Andrew, R.M., et al. (2022) A comprehensive and synthetic dataset for global, regional and national greenhouse gas emissions by sector 1970-2018 with an extension to 2019 . doi:10.5281/zenodo.6483002.
- Moosmann, L., Beuermann, C., Elsner, C. and Textor, D.C. (2023) Options for the political phase of the Global Stocktake . Dessau-Roßlau, Germany: Umweltbundesamt (UBA).
- Nascimento, L., Posada, E., Jeffery, L. and Moosmann, L. (2023) Greenhouse gas emission distributions: Informing the Global Stocktake (2021-2023) . Dessau-Roßlau, Germany: German Environment Agency.
- UNEP (2022) Emissions Gap Report 2022 . Nairobi, Kenya: United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP).
- UNFCCC (2015) Paris Agreement - Decision 1/CP.21: Adoption of the Paris Agreement. Doc. FCCC/CP/2015/10/Add.1 . Entered into force 2016. Paris, France: United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change.